Thursday, November 5, 2009

Holy as the day is spent...

Just a quick post tonight: I am back in Maryland to help out my dad after his long stay in a rehab facility. He is very weak and still literally getting back onto his feet after a fall back on August 29th. Today my sister, Laura, and I cooked 20 "home made TV dinners" for him. It was a special kind of day cooking with my "baby" sister who is 13 years younger.

+ I remember sitting in 7th grade homeroom the day she was born - and a whole lot more. At one point today her 25 year old son stopped by - he is a working electrician in the DC Metro and 6'4" with a bald head - and all I could think about was when he was born.

+ Later I took my pop to the doctor for another test. He needs a wheelchair and lots of support but he is still proud and independent. It was hard for us both when I had to take off his shoes and socks - and his trousers, too - and help him up onto the examining table. And afterwards when I was tying his shoes the memory of him teaching me how to dry myself safely after a shower came rushing in and learning to tie my shoes, too.

Last night we ate frozen lasagna and watched a Batman movie. Tonight we ate kielbasa and rice casserole and watched CSI. Tomorrow there will be another trip to the doctor's office and a few errands. I was feeling conflicted about coming down here... but not now. A dear colleague in Massachusetts dropped me a note of support and encouragement that ended: now give him all your attention and... practice what we both preach. And so it goes... holy as the day is spent.

2 comments:

Luke said...

CARRIE NEWCOMER!!!!!!!!!! love her... big fan. can't believe you found a good youtube video of her.

RAWK

RJ said...

There are finally some good clips. I have come to LOVE her, too.

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...