Monday, February 15, 2010

Good intentions...

A quiet day for reflection (and some house cleaning) as I get ready for Lent. After devouring the first five chapters of Trevor Herriot's The Wound of Jacob I found myself listening to a variety of tracks by Toad the Wet Sprocket. My friend, Steve, gave me "Dulcinea" and I've been picking up a few other cuts over the months. (Thanks, Steve, for the connection!)

I am particularly taken with "Good Intentions" as the obscure light of Lent dawns... What a GREAT Lenten opening line: "It's hard to rely on my good intentions when my head's full of things that I can't mention!"


The song closes with this beautifully understated understanding of compassion and humility:

I can't be hard on you because I've been there, too And learned a lot of things from you
But life gives little relief
Give us a reprieve
And when everyone is cold as ice
I clinch my fists and close my eyes
Imagining the world outside
But I can see that I'm not blind...

They have a sweet groove that I am really liking: I understand the guitarist/singer Glen Philips hangs with the progressive acoustic band, Nickel Creek who also bring a gentle tenderness with just a touch of melancholia to their reflections on the human experience. (Check out: "When You Come Back Down" @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwkpihGwSj0) Besides, any acoustic band that covers Radiohead, Coldplay AND the Jackson Five have got something going for them!

Back to Toad... two tunes on "Dulcinea" really grab me: "Windmills" and "Fall Down." Both have terrific pop hooks, insightful lyrics and an energy that reeks "lent" to me these days. I mean what can you say about a lyric that includes:

She said "I'm fine, I'm okay"
cover, up your trembling hands
There's indecision when you
Know you ain't got nothing left
when the good times never stay
And the cheap thrills always
seem to fade away

When will we
When will we fall down


Jump back, got to get out of here
been too long this time
Jump back, got to get out of here
When will we fall down
For the last time conscience calls
For a good friend I was never there at all
When will we fall down



As Lent creeps closer my prayer (from Iona) is becoming:

O Christ, you are within each one of us.
Nearer are you than breathing,
closer than hands and feet.
Ours are the eyes with which you, in mystery,
look out with compassion on the world.
Take us outside, O Christ, outside holiness,
out to where soldiers curse and nations clash at the crossroads of the world.
We ask it for your own name's sake.
Amen.

credits: 1) G cut 1.2 by = lobby @ deviantart.com; 2) Waiting for my soul by Ruumy @ deviantart.com; 3) Order and disorder by WonderMilkyGirl @ deviantart.com

4 comments:

SGF said...

You're very welcome......maybe my misunderstanding about using Toad for Good Friday was just a cool synchronistic vibe. I continue to be amazed and enjoy this music. I have loved Fall Down since Dulcinea came out and it was a minor hit for them as well. When I read up on them it seems the consensus is that this band while mildly successful was essentially overlooked. Somehow, when I listen to their words that notion makes sense! It is so hard (it does happen) for music of real depth to appeal to the masses in my tiny experience.

I owe you for my second and far deeper look at U2!! They have notes and words that simply come from the divine in my opinion. I think windmills and Little Heaven are from that place as well!

RJ said...

I am glad you liked this posting and so blessed that you turned me on to these guys. Very creative and overlooked during a time when there was a lot of other buzz going on. I can see now how their understated ways were passed over - which is a shame - but all to typical. But I am certainly finding a way to reclaim their beauty. And it is always a treat to know the my boys U2 are still shaking it up for the Spirit. Be well, my friend.

Peter said...

And you might put Trevor's blog in your blogroll, while you're at it! :)

RJ said...

Great idea, my man... working on it now.

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...