Thursday, February 11, 2010

Robin Hood Radio...

More and more I find myself exploring the world of music through the Internet - how about you? I couldn't find the energy to watch the Grammy Awards this year - not that it was every a lot of fun for me - after all when the Beatles were at their prime they were always overlooked. But more and more, I just don't care. I still am fascinated and intrigued by popular culture, but I find that my soul is rarely fed by much of what is currently popular.

I suspect that this is partially just the ebb and flow of contemporary music: there was a time I went into retreat when Springsteen was ascending, too. I was learning to play Dave Von Ronk instead of "Racing in the Streets." Today I love 'em both - and I suspect that in a few years I will rediscover some of this generation's great tunes. Nevertheless, I find that when I just sit down to be in the world of music, there are three or four key places:

+ My current favorite is the new show on Robin Hood Radio @ http://robinhoodradio.com/. An old friend - and still great musician - Hal Lefferts is the DJ and he puts on a smokin' show each day at 3 pm. It is radio like I remember FM at it's prime: great mixes of every style all in one sweet, soul-nourishing groove.

+ Another great site is Martha's Vineyard Radio @ www.mvyradio.com/valentines_day.php
which is totally worth the effort to check out. It is almost as good as being back on the Island when I was a wild-ass, in-love young man!

+ Then there is Last FM @ http://www.last.fm/ which is a totally great on-line collection of EVERY popular culture artist you can imagine. If you get a jones for Fairport Convention but your vinyl collection sounds like shit, go to Last FM - they rarely disappoint. Equally fine is Pandora Radio @ www.pandora.com/#/. You will love them both and they are always ready to help you make new discoveries, too.

And as much as I love music it is becoming clear that we're going to have to move into satellite radio for the car: there is just too much crap on what passes for radio to handle more that 20 minutes. Thank God for IPODS and satellites and Internet radio. It is a blessing that I celebrate!

1 comment:

Peter said...

Radio killed the video addict...? :)

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...