Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Some days...

Some days...

Some days I hear things that not only break my heart and make my head split, but that also terrify my soul:  human sin and cruelty is so deep and real. Some days just when I think that after more than 30 years of ministry I've heard it all... well, another layer of depravity is exposed and I'm momentarily knocked on my ass. I guess that I'm never ultimately shocked when I have one of those days, but I still find myself at a loss for words and only tears come out.
That is one of the reasons I am grateful for the story of Mary in Luke's gospel: it says to me that no matter HOW broken - or forgotten - no matter how insignificant or irrelevant I might feel - or any one of us might feel - God can come to us in ways that make us feel favored.  All the filth and hurt, all the sin and failures, all the neglect and abuse and insignificance are not the totality of our lives when it comes to God's love. 

I don't pretend to "understand" the technicalities of the story of how Mary conceived the Lord Jesus. Neither can I explain how it came to pass except to say "with God all things are possible." And mostly I don't care what I can understand or explain, because at a much deeper level I know God's love can do all things - bring healing to broken souls, forgive sin, cleanse what is filthy and find favor with the most forgotten part of our humanity - so I am not bothered that the Bible speaks of Mary as a virgin who brings to birth a child.

What's more, if God can - and did - share such undeserved love with Mary, I trust by faith that this same incredible love is available to you and me.  It is available to every sinner - no matter how horrible and depraved - for with God's grace Mary's song becomes our own.

Mary said,
‘My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
or he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.

Today was one of those days - and I give thanks to God for Mary - here is one of the most heavenly songs in her honor.

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...