Sunday, April 7, 2013

Returning to the fold after Easter...

I LOVE this poem by Andrea Hollander.  After a mini-retreat last week, it was sweet to be back in community with my circle of faith colleagues.  We shared Eucharist, began with a simple "hymn-sing" (or liturgical stump the band), laughed a lot, talked about when we trust the Lord's resurrection and why we doubt it, too and then lifted prayers for one another and our broken world.  It was simple, real and beautiful.  Today it felt like we were God's people rejoicing at being together in grace through faith.
 
During our fellowship time, I was asked to pray for a woman whose husband is currently hovering between life and death.  Another old soul asked for help in finding an apartment.  And then some of us swapped stories about children growing up in very religious families and the funny games they play:  like my girls playing Mary giving birth to Jesus (both were delivered by hippies at home) or Dianne's baptist clan practicing "dunking" one another.  There was a time each year after Easter when on the trip to my parents house in Maryland, my daughters would sing prayer responses from the liturgy in the car and then see how quickly they could recite the standard prayer of confession from the Book of Common Prayer, too.
 
I'm going to take a nap soon - and then take the puppy out for a run.  But I came upon this poem and it fits on a day like today. 
 
What we don't know we don't know,
so accept it. If your mother wandered


when your father was stationed in France
during the war before you were born,


No matter what her sister told you

years later, after your mother died,

what does this matter now?

Your job anyway is to be the daughter,

to stay open to where you are,

your ear toward the glistening insects

that draw your eye to the wild azaleas

pushing their pale pink selves out of

the limestone ledge just over the edge

of the bluff where your house sits.

What you don't know

you will never know. Look instead

at the fluttering pink blossoms, at the lichen

stuck to the limestone ledge beneath them.

Look at the pale thumbprint of the moon

in the pale afternoon sky. The house is nearly

empty now, nearly no longer yours—

tables and chairs sold, couches and beds

given away, trash dumped, books and dishes

boxed and stacked for the truck

that's on its way. Everything is somewhere

else now, intact or scattered. It doesn't matter.

More than once your father wrote

from the field hospital about the nurses.

What was it like to read those letters?

These insects must be honeybees heavying

with nectar—so many lifting in and out

of the wild azaleas you can almost smell their

desire. Wild like your mother's may have been.

Like your husband's was. But you don't know

anything. You can sit on the porch

of this emptying house and think

whatever you think. You never apologized

for your own lies. Your husband apologized

too much. Even then the moon slept on its side,

its good ear deep in its pillow:

Your job was to be the wife and mother,

the daughter. To be whatever you are now.
The moon has its own job. The house
will fill again. Perhaps you are tired

of watching the bees. Of noticing how

the petals of the azaleas strain upward

to right themselves after the bees

have finished with them. Tired

of the questions that repeat themselves

like the fat predictable moon, and the doubt

that manages, no matter what the truth is,

to never run out.

May God be with you as this day unfolds...

4 comments:

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Thanks for this lovely post. It's a great poem R.J. I love the line "Perhaps you are tired of watching the bees. Of noticing how
the petals of the azaleas strain upward to right themselves after the bees have finished with them."
The thing I find these days, is that this is the very thing I am never tired of and that always lift y spirits when the world;s shenanigans are too much. That's why we need poets and minister's like you too- to remind us constantly to pay attention to the beauty that we overlook and take for granted and to be in awe and thanks for it. Blessings

Elmer E. Ewing said...

Einstein is supposed to have said that coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. In that spirit, I would like to share the following. Out of all the excellent blogs I follow, somehow on my "blogger list" only three appear every day. I guess they are there because at one time or another I clicked a box without knowing what would happen. Now, I am not at all sorry about this, because I like all three very much--I just don't remember what I did to make them appear. One of the three is about "fracking," and I am glad to have it, because I am a fervid opponent of fracking. The other two blogs are your blog and "Blue Eyed Ennis." Considering how vast is the blogging universe, to me it was a happy coincidence that the author of one of my three blogs left a comment on one of the others. Besides that, Philomena happens to share my last name, although we have not met, are not related, and to the best of my knowledge are also unrelated to the Dallas "J.R." p.s., I am pleased to echo Philomena's comment about this post. Elmer Ewing

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Thanks so much Elmer. I'm moved by your words. I like Einstein's quote very much. These unexpected connections of grace are beautiful gifts.I came across RJ's beautiful blog when I first started blogging a few years ago and immediately felt an affinity with it.It's uncanny how often it speaks to me at times. It's difficult to explain to people what the Holy Spirit is, but anyone who spends time on this blog cannot fail to come away without being embraced by it !! This is a lovely space to meet up today!! Spaces are empty to the eye, but my Celtic sensibility has always felt the Holy Spirit holding together that vast terrain. It's nice to feel it here today !! I guess we are all related.. Ah, if only more of us were to bless it. Blessings

Elmer Ewing said...

Thank you, Philomena. "Unexpected connections of grace" is a perfect way of saying it, and I vow to be on the lookout for them today.

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...