Friday, November 15, 2013

Embracing the late days of autumn...

Today and tomorrow have been set aside for "yard work." This is a generic label that in our neck of the woods really means "getting ready for winter" - and it can be a hassle or soul food.  It is a lot of work - a ton of leaves to rake, assorted twigs and branches to gather, a deck to clear and a doggie area to clean.  On Wednesday, when our first dusting of snow caught us unawares, today's tasks felt like a hassle.  But it is now almost 50 F and all the snow is gone, so what was once a grind has the potential for becoming a soul satisfying outdoor prayer.
There is something cleansing about clearing away the debris of one season in anticipation of the next, yes?  It not only gets the earth ready for a long rest, but helps me ease into the changes, too. When we moved back to North Country, I dreaded winter. After 10 years in the desert Southwest I thought I was too mellow for the stark severity of this season.  But as our seventh season takes root, I find that I am both excited by the clarity of winter's night sky and eager to hear the silence of our first snow. 

Don't get me wrong:  I'll be carping and complaining about it all by January - and be ready to head South for a spell by February - but for now all is anticipation.  And preparation.  A prelude to Advent for certain. The poet, Annie Finch, put it like this in "Samhain (A Celtic Halloween.)"

In the season leaves should love,
since it gives them leave to move
through the wind, towards the ground
they were watching while they hung,
legend says there is a seam
stitching darkness like a name.

Now when dying grasses veil
earth from the sky in one last pale
wave, as autumn dies to bring
winter back, and then the spring,
we who die ourselves can peel
back another kind of veil

that hangs among us like thick smoke.
Tonight at last I feel it shake.
I feel the nights stretching away
thousands long behind the days
till they reach the darkness where
all of me is ancestor.

I move my hand and feel a touch
move with me, and when I brush
my own mind across another,
I am with my mother's mother.
Sure as footsteps in my waiting
self, I find her, and she brings

arms that carry answers for me,
intimate, a waiting bounty.
"Carry me." She leaves this trail
through a shudder of the veil,
and leaves, like amber where she stays,
a gift for her perpetual gaze.

The next few weeks will be full - practice for our Thanksgiving Eve
concert, pastoral and family visits and suppers, house cleaning and all
the rest - so today is about solitude. And silence. And becoming a part
of the soil and natural rhythm of things. Everything now is a sweet
amber that will soon fade to grey.  I like Rilke's words today, too:

After the summer's yield, Lord, it is time
to let your shadow lengthen on the sundials
and in the pastures let the rough winds fly.


As for the final fruits, coax them to roundness.
Direct on them two days of warmer light
to hale them golden toward their term, and harry
the last few drops of sweetness through the wine.


Whoever's homeless now, will build no shelter;
who lives alone will live indefinitely so,
waking up to read a little, draft long letters,   
and, along the city's avenues,
fitfully wander, when the wild leaves loosen.

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...