Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Dream...

Tonight I had one of the most satisfying experiences I've had in ministry in YEARS. A young woman in the congregation - a member of our youth group - asked me if she could sing a song with our band in church. The song is "Dream" by Priscilla Ahn. It is a KILLER song - so tender, vulnerable and honest - I love it.  It will be part of my message about Sabbath keeping so we rehearsed it tonight.

Truth be told, young musicians are often very cautious and too shy. And while our young  artist was nervous OMG can she ever sing! Gorgeous and poignant, engaged and wise beyond her years all at once. And our older band - inter-generational in the BEST sense of the word - added just the right harmonies and support. My man, Carlton, who works a lot with young performers, knew just the right way to encourage our singer and bring out her deeper gifts.

Two things are worth recording here:

+ First, my heart is full to overflowing tonight because this precious young artists WANTS to share her deepest self with us in worship. We have a LONG way to go, but this affirms we are on the right track.

+ Second, the Spirit of Christ's grace is bigger than all our failures, shames and foibles. Trust it, my friends, trust it and let it flow and blessings will follow.

There's way too much that's wrong with the Church, but when it stumbles on the right path it is life-giving. 

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...