Tuesday, June 12, 2018

beholding ripens...

One of the incredible - and unexpected - blessings of my life at this moment in time is the chance to make music and share love and compassion in community. For reasons greater than my ability to comprehend, not only have I been given the opportunity to share music and prayer with my beloved friends in the L'Arche Ottawa community, but the Spirit has brought me back into communion with Hal and our newly formed band: Famous Before We're Dead. It is a time of rejoicing for me. "Behold" said the Blessed Virgin Mary, "I am a handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to Thy word." (Luke 1)

While on retreat in Canada a few months ago, I sensed that this was to be a year of "beholding" for me. That is, an extended season of watching and waiting what God was already bringing into my life rather than fretting and anxiously rushing to control events. This word, behold, appears over 1,298 times in the Scriptures. Sadly, I have not really given it much attention. Further, I am not very good at beholding - noticing sacred truth as a trusting novice - so it is essential for me to pause from time to time to see what God is already doing right before my eyes. 

Two realities demand my careful and loving attention: my deepening connection with L'Arche and the birthing of a new musical experiment with beloved friends.
Next week, we will be in Ottawa to look at possible housing options as my connection deepens. It will take us at least a year to bring things to a close here as there is so much "stuff" to deal with. Further, this is a time for beholding, rather than rushing, so we're going to take it slow. I will have a time to be with L'Arche friends, be in conversation with community leadership, and commit to next steps.



This week, our new band - Famous Before We're Dead - will be playing two gigs: Wednesday in Florence, MA and Saturday in Copake, NY. Today I spent three plus hours practicing and talking with my Famous brother in music, Hal, as we work out performances, rehearsals and a recording session. What a rich time of creativity and caring. I am blessed beyond words.

So while I don't have much to say about the state of the world these days - to everything there is a season, yes - it is clear that beholding is bringing me two blessings I could never have imagined. If you're in the area, drop by either Brew Practitioners in Florence between 7-10 Wednesday, or, the Copake Farmers' Market on Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm.

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...