Sunday, June 24, 2018

what famous musican are you...?

Last night leaving the Lake Street Dive concert at the Ottawa Jazz Festival, while waiting in line to drive out of the parking garage, there was a gentle tap on my side window. Startled, I looked up to find a man about my age standing and smiling. I put the window down and he said, "I was wondering about the Haddad Brothers bumper sticker on your car: what does it mean?" It took a few seconds to register before I replied, "Oh, that's the name of the car dealership where we bought this great old car." He smiled and said, "Ok, I get it. That's my name, too and I was just curious. Its common from the old country."

"Lebanon, right?" He smiled again. "Where in Massachusetts are you from? We have family we visit often in Connecticut." When I told him Pittsfield he noted that they travel through there regularly on the way to see his brother. He waved goodbye - and then I realized one more thing. "Oh, not only is Haddad the car dealer's name, but it is also the name of the drummer in our band!" "How sweet is that?" he mused and headed back to his vehicle.

Earlier that afternoon, while looking for yet another bracelet, the street vendor said to me, "Are you a famous musician?" When I returned her smile with, "Not yet famous," she continued, "I met Chaka Kahn's bass player yesterday. I get a lot of musicians during the jazz festival. Can't wait to see her Monday night." I guess my look gave me away... It was a fun exchange.

On Friday, July 20, 2019 @ 7 pm our band, Famous Before We're Dead, will play a house concert to support the essential work of RAICES - the Texas based law consortium - fighting to reunited immigrant families with their separated children.

FAMOUS BEFORE WE'RE DEAD

House Concert 7-9 pm
(90 minutes of new music plus refreshments and a chance to connect)
This is a unique time in our culture. We’re inviting you to James and Dianne’s home to hear our new groove, share a drink, and raise emergency funds for RAICES: the best legal group assisting migrant children and families with boots on the ground in Texas. Our new music will encourage and challenge you. Being together in solidarity will strengthen your spirit. And it will be a whole lotta fun. Rain or shine.
Learn more about RAICES @ https://actionnetwork.org/campaigns/endfamilyseparation
For more information go to the Famous Before We’re Dead FB page @ https://www.facebook.com/famoushal/

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...