Thursday, August 20, 2026

reflections on that small strand of synchronicity woven into 70+ years of life...

For the past three days of this retreat I've been inwardly focused. Specifically, I've been listening to, remembering, praying over, and connecting key insights, ideas, hunches, and commitments made over the past 40+ years of ministry. I felt like I needed to be able to clearly describe the small strand of synchronicity woven through my years that I've tried to hold on to as I begin a new phase of ministry. You see, at some point during the next few months I'll need to make my case to those who don't really know me why going deeper with my current faith community is right. And if I can't describe why this is so to my self, how in the world can I make the case to others? 

Thankfully, we claimed the time and space to make this happen. I've given multiple hours to this reflection with dozens of edits and revisions. Suffice it to say, stumbling upon this poster this morning cut to the chase. My introduction outlines perspective like this:

One of the 
most satisfying surprises of becoming a septuagenarian is recognizing how God’s grace has consistently given shape and form in my life. Author and Prioress of the Abbey of the Arts, Christine Valters Paintner, creatively links our awareness of God’s call in our lives to both the path of pilgrimage adapted by the ancient Celtic monks and the wisdom expressed in William Stafford’s poem: “The Way It Is.” Recognizing, observing, and then following the thin strand of synchronicity woven throughout our existence is, she suggests how our days are filled with sacred fidelity.

There’s a thread you follow. It goes among
things that change. But it doesn’t change.
People wonder about what you are pursuing.
You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see.
While you hold it you can’t get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt
or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you do can stop time’s unfolding.
You don’t ever let go of the thread.

My unique strand of synchronicity is the way music has mystically opened
my heart to the transformative mysteries of Jesus that incline me towards compassion. Through various stages of time, geography, culture, and theological awareness, music has been sacramental for me. It doesn’t matter whether I’m creating, sharing, studying, praying, playing, or simply listening to songs of the heart: my soul is refreshed and compels me towards living eucharistically....Over time, I have learn to describe this spirituality as the Paschal Mystery filling my ordinary existence with extraordinary meaning. I’ve found precious little solace or support for this in the linear and all too limited certainties of Reformed Christianity. But have been energized and enlightened by the apophatic aspects of Eastern Orthodoxy that are poetic rather than linear; that are grounded in silence and beauty more than the convoluted catechisms of the Western Church; that recognize chant and song as an authentic incarnational spiritual practice.

Yesterday, we took a long walk through a wooded bog alongside a gentle river that was displaying a variety of bird houses. It was a quiet way to let go of my thinking and simply let ideas and feelings bubble up as they may. Later we stopped by Lac Brome Books and and unobtrusively stumbled upon author Louise Penny just before she sat down for an interview. Ms. Penny's Inspector Gamache books were our first introduction to the Eastern Townships of Quebec almost 20 years ago. They are carefully crafted character studies of complex individuals in the small, imaginary Quebecois town of Three Pines. Once, without knowing, we wander into an early book signing event; in later years, we intentionally attended a few others. Afterwards, we headed down to Penny's new cafe for a Gamache sandwich (jambon, fromage, pomme sur un croissant.)

Twice as yesterday unfolded, friendly and helpful locals approached us to welcome us to their village, offer kind suggestions concerning the upcoming town festival, and ask if they might be of assistance in any way. It was another small sign of grace embedded in our souls - and I was grateful.

 

No comments:

reflections on that small strand of synchronicity woven into 70+ years of life...

For the past three days of this retreat I've been inwardly focused. Specifically, I've been listening to, remembering, praying over,...