Friday, December 19, 2008

Foot note to a road less traveled...

One of the realities that continues to be missed by my progressive friends re: the controversy around Rick Warren is exactly what James Wall noted - only in reverse! Warren, indeed, represents a new type of American Christianity. Call it post-denominational, entrepreneurial or whatever: more and more people have found their way into the Body of Christ through churches like his than churches like mine (or any of the other once "mainstream" but now "side line" denominations.)

What's more, these very non-anti-post-denominational congregations are changing from the once ultra-conservative theology that used to be normative a la Dobson or Falwell to one that puts the issues of justice, hunger and compassion well ahead of the culture wars. (see http://www.newsweek.com/id/143760) Moreover, as more and more young evangelicals live with LGBTQ friends and family, they are discovering that their theology is changing - which is exactly what happened to liberal straight guys like me over the past 30 years. (see http://www.newsweek.com/id/153850)

One of my favorite poets, Joy Mead of Scotland's Iona Community, puts it like this:

Today I shall try to make peace
in practice and in poetry.
I shall choose words and image carefully,
avoiding all that proscribes, restricts,
oppresses, destroys, humiliates, patronizes, enslaves.

I shall fight no fights, not even 'good' ones.
I shall not stand up for Jesus
or be a soldier of anything
not even the cross;
I shall not
wave any flaming swords;
I shall address on-one as Lord
or mighty conqueror;
I shall not put on any sort of armour,
not even the armour of Christ
or the dressings of power...
I shall try to use words
that open minds
and stretch imaginations;
words that show an alternative
to famine, war, racism, torture, unjust structures,
unjust trading systems, violence, war,
all that denies life...

I shall ask questions that stir the heart,
motivate the will,
stretch the imagination,
widen the moral vision,
so that life in all its fullness,
diversity and wonder will be cherished
on this fragile and finite planet...

I shall try to understand compassion
and feel an other's pain
as if it were my own...

I shall look more
and listen more.
I shall live more moments
as given moments.
I shall make mistakes
and admit them humbly...

And at the end of the day,
when things are pretty much the same,
I shall continue to hope.
I shall remember that the personal
is always political; that inner peace
cannot be separated from wholeness
and health in community;
that small acts of beauty
by small groups of people
still carry the potential
to change the world.

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...