Friday, December 3, 2010

Advent keeps unfolding in new and surprising ways...

So yesterday I met with two wonderful women - Natalie Shiras from Church on the Hill in Lenox (www.churchonthehilllenox.org/) and Barbara Cohen from Congregation Ahavath Sholom in Great Barrington (http://www.ahavathsholom.com/page.ph%20PageID=1441&PageName=Our+Spiritual+Leader) - for what may become a monthly inter-faith conversation and exploration of common ground and understanding. Another local rabbi, Josh Breindl in Pittsfield (http://www.templeansheamunim.org/welcome/staff/munim.org/welcome/staff/) will join us next month. It was a full and lively two hours as we tried to figure out what we all meant when we used certain words like "devotions" or "grace." Fascinating and helpful... We also wrestled a little bit with what it means to be about spiritual renewal in our respective congregations, too.

All of which led us to the importance of music in the renewal experience. Barbara shared a midrash on the creation story wherein God speaks creation into being through speaking/sounding a tone - a tone that resonates with us all at a primal level - and a tone which helps us reconnect with the Divine. Well, from there it was a wild discussion about culture, peace-making, music and how we might collaborate in the future.

From there I headed back home to prepare for the first public gig with the Pittsfield Jazz Ambassadors. As I've noted before, I was pretty anxious about this because I am way out of me element playing hard core jazz. In fact, as we were driving to the club to drop off my equipment my head was throbbing and I was certain I would puke. (I haven't been this nervous about a gig in decades!)

And it went... smashingly! Yeah, I butchered a couple of tunes - and sat a few out, too - but the bossa nova numbers that I feared had a sweet groove, the jazz standards felt lively and fresh and I got to solo a few times on various jazz blues riffs. We mixed in some Beatles' songs - with close harmonies - and I did some rock and soul songs like "After Midnight" that rounded the show out. And our little buddy from church, Ethan, came and sat in with us for "Steam Roller" and "Day Tripper" and literally brought the house down. (He had invited about 20 friends and family members who wouldn't stop cheering.)
Dianne was in fine voice on tunes like "Blue Skies," "Paper Moon" and "Moon River" and Charlie, Andy and John are pros who have played together for so long they make everything sweet. I had a blast - and we all agreed this new configuration is going to work out well - and be tons of fun in the process. As band leader, Andy Kelly, told us all: "Ye of little faith...!" A bunch of people came from church to cheer us on - which was a real delight - and one friend said, "It was kinda weird hearing my preacher sing "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" in a bar." I smiled and noted it was, afterall, a profound theological tune...

So I am grateful and blessed by such creative and compassionate colleagues on so many fronts - and Advent keeps unfolding in ever new and surprising ways. This may become our Istanbul theme song...

No comments:

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...