Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Peace-making with the Music Ambassadors...

NOTE: Here are my worship notes for this coming Sunday, December 19th - Advent Four - and the conclusion of my series re: peace-making through music. Our guests will be the Sister City Music Ambassadors who will be sharing a ton of jazz and gospel throughout worship. We'll begin with a version of Brubek's "Take 5" and morph into "O Come, O Come Emmanuel." Will groove and improvise on "My Lord, He Is a'Comin' Soon" (this year's bluesy Advent prayer.) And then share a conversation in words and music including "Someday My Prince Will Come," "Blue Skies," "Somebody Talkin' 'Bout Jesus," and "Feliz Navidad. I suspect we'll do Sonny Rollins' "Tenor Madness" as the postlude. Should be fun and insightful, too. Our band - Between the Banks - will also be sharing Sarah McLachlan's take on "Bring on the Wonder." Please join us if you can.


Today we’re going to experience – and listen – reflect and consider how it is that the very Spirit of God we know in the Christmas story might also be alive and well and at work in the music and mission of the Sister City Music Ambassadors. One part of our story, you see, speaks to us of a young Palestinian peasant girl named Miriam whom we know as Mary. In some ways, I think of these musicians in the same spirit as Mary for Fr. Richard Rohr has written that:

There is no mention of any moral worthiness, achievement or preparedness in Mary, only humble trust and surrender. She gives us all, therefore, a bottomless hope in our own little state. If we… try to “manage” God, or manufacture our own worthiness by any performance principle whatsoever, we will never bring forth the Christ, but only ourselves. (You see) Mary does not manage, fix, control or “perform” in any way. She just says “Yes!” (to the mystery) and brings forth the abundance that (the prophet) Isaiah promises (Isaiah 48:17-19).

Another part of our story looks towards Joseph – who like his namesake in the book of Genesis – explores his dreams to discern God’s will. And believe me: these musicians are dreamers on a quest to do their small part to advance the cause of peace in this wounded and broken world. My colleague, Kate Huey, in the United Church of Christ puts it like this:

Joseph is a man who wants to be observant and faithful to the Law but also answers to an inner sense of compassion and mercy… when he chooses not to humiliate Mary with a public divorce… In the early church, the word "righteous" didn't mean hypocritical or judgmental, but faithful and good and Joseph is surely faithful and good… as he searches for a way through "the tension between the prevailing understanding of God's commandments and the new thing that God is doing in Jesus (Matthew, The New Interpreter's Bible).

Faithful people in every generation are just like Joseph whenever what we’ve “been taught to do conflicts with what our hearts know is right and good.” I can’t help but think some of that spirit is at work in our upcoming people-to-people peacemaking trip to Istanbul next summer. Don’t get me wrong: I’m NOT saying this is a religious mission – it is not – but then Mary and Joseph weren’t on a specifically religious mission either when they let their hearts open to God’s mercy.

So, sit back right now and listen as the band plays a sweet jazz waltz, “Someday My Prince Will Come,” by Frank Churchill from Walt Disney’s version of “Snow White.” And let the music speak to you of how God is at work within and among us in the quest for peace…


One of my central commitments about music – and one of the on-going revelations of the Sacred in my life – has to do with what happens to people when they play beautiful music together. About a week ago, when Andy and I were planning for this celebration, I said something to him like, “Whenever I play music with artists who are truly committed my heart is opened to new possibilities.”

• Then I said: Music helps me become more creative and centered in life so that I can be more cooperative, compassionate and constructive in the world. I have to listen carefully – I have to respond creatively – and I have to let the soul of the song carry me to a new place.

• To which he said: Write that down – what did you say with all those C words…? And I couldn’t remember – which happens all too often – but I worked and got most of it down on paper.

And that’s the first insight I want to share with all of you - and ask the band about today – do you experience music as a peace-making discipline? Do you think it helps you become more creative, compassionate and cooperative? What do you think?

Let the band members respond and reply…

Well, here’s an example of how a jazz standard does all of these things in one song. Now I don’t think this happens consciously, ok? I mean when I am playing “Blue Skies” I am not aware of thinking: “Oh yes, Lord, thank you for helping me feel more grounded and compassionate and connected to the work of peace in the world.” Not at all – I’m just hoping to get most of the notes right and get into a sweet groove – yes? But when I think about the music later – when I listen for the Spirit of God in the sounds – then other things crack open. So let’s play “Blue Skies” in all of its swinging, prayerful beauty…


Do you see what I mean about how music is a peace-making discipline that not only encourages cooperation and centering but creativity and even compassion, too? It makes me think of that church in San Francisco down on Fillmore Street - right next to Yoshi’s, the city’s premier jazz club – and it is called: the St. John Coltrane African Orthodox Church. I’m not kidding: each week at 11:45 am – still the morning but not too early for jazz musicians – there is worship using the heart of Christianity and the music of Coltrane’s masterpiece, “A Love Supreme.”

• This music, you see, is playful and structured – grounded in form as well as improvisation – that is what prayer is all about. Or living with an openness to the Spirit.

• No wonder those who have explored the connection between music and spirituality have observed that: The discovery of song and the creation of musical instruments both owe their origin to a human impulse which lies deeper than conscious intention: it is the need for rhythm in life. The need is a deep one, transcending thought and disregarded at our own peril. (Richard Baker)


Let’s play a little more music right now: can we give the old gospel song by Odetta and reworked by Kathy Mattea, “Somebody Talkin’ ‘Bout Jesus” a shot? This is a chance to put what I was talking about into practice because we’ve never played this together before…

Play “Somebody Talkin’ ‘Bout Jesus” here

Alright, let’s shift gears for a moment and talk about this summer’s musical pilgrimage to Istanbul. We’re going to take up a special collection for this trip this morning so I’d like to ask each of you two questions:

• First, why do you play with the Music Ambassadors? It can’t be because of the fame and fortune: so why do you do it?

• And second why does going to Istanbul matter to you?

Band members share their thoughts here…

One of the challenges of being a person of faith in this age – and probably all times – is getting to the heart of things. An old rabbi once said to me, “You know, I feel much safer when you are living fully and deeply as a Christian because the heart of Jesus is about peace not conversion or confrontation.” He went on to say much like Gandhi did before him that the way of Jesus opens hearts to see the face of God in every person.

• Think of Mother Teresa bowing to all her guests with the Hindu greeting: Namaste. Do you recall what that means? “The divinity within me recognizes the essence of God within you.”

• That’s the very heart of the Christmas story, too, where God the all-powerful takes up residence in the flesh of a small and insignificant peasant child in Palestine.

This peace-pilgrimage in music is NOT about conversion – it is NOT about advancing our way over another’s way either – rather it is about finding holy and common ground with others through music. And allowing the sacred within us to recognize and honor the sacred in our new albeit unnamed friends in Istanbul. I hope you will want to help us realize this dream…

And now, in the spirit of our time, let’s bring it all home with “Feliz Navidad” a song I hope you’ll all sing with gusto!

credits:
3) Music Ambassadors @ Patrick's Pub in Pittsfield from Paul Durwin
4) Music Ambassadors in Italy from Sue Kelly
5) Andy Kelly with Jr. Blues Brothers @ Thanksgiving Eve 2010 from Ben Garver
6) Charlie Tokarz in Italy from Sue Kelly

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...