Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It was 30 years ago today...

Dear John Lennon - the Walrus and all the rest - was gunned down 30 years ago today. The Beatles changed my life - and the world - for the better. As a young teen I idolized John: I loved his hard-edged sound, I found courage in his chutzpah, I savored his tenderness and wept over his wounds. He gave me a role-model in "Hard Day's Night" that I still cherish. And while I moved on from John to George in the Myers-Briggs Beatles typology as I grew up, I still miss him...

I was in seminary when he was shot while returning to his home at the Dakota in NYC. My dentist's office was right across the street from the Dakota, so I knew the scene well. And as I sat in my apartment that night - endlessly listening to Vin Scully on WNEW-FM radio - I got a call from my old buddy, Ross, whom I hadn't heard from much after high school. Ross taught me to play guitar. We used to head to his house before confirmation class every Wednesday and work out Beatles' songs. He was skilled - I had hammer hands - but we loved the Beatles and went to the same church. Eventually we formed a band together that lasted through high school. And when he called that night to lament in our shock that John Lennon had been murdered, his voice was food for my soul.

I still love him - he was the Paul McCartney to my John Lennon back in high school - even though we've gone our separate ways as adults. From time to time, I see what he's up to on Facebook and note how well his children are doing. Life is so funny... so my prayers go out to all those who loved John like we did all those years ago and give thanks to the joy John and Ross brought into my life tonight on the 30th anniversary of John's assassination. Here's to you, brother...

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...