Friday, October 5, 2012

Keep on jazzin' in the free world...

Ok, I just HAD to post this.  After doing a few errands today - and getting up for the early doggie walk - this note came in from one of the young mom's at church.  She wrote:

Dear Band Members,

I just want to tell you all how much I appreciate your working with Olivia on "Safe and Sound". She thought it was the absolute coolest thing to be up there with her very own mic at rehearsal on Tuesday! She walked out of the church with a huge grin and couldn't stop smiling. Even when Will and I were in the library working on his homework, he heard her voice coming from the other room and said "Is that Olivia? WOW."

Dianne - Thank you for having this great idea for her to perform with you as part of her confirmation practice. The harmonies and arrangements are beautiful.

Olivia is very happy you have given her this unique opportunity, and I just want you to know that we appreciate it.

With thanks from the bottom of my heart...


 


I have to tell you, THIS is one of the reasons I keep on doing what I do:  nourishing faith and creativity in community.  There is almost NOTHING better in this world - or the next!  This is like what happened after last night's gig, when I was sitting with Ethan's dad talking about what a gas it is for this young man to rock the house in this setting.  He said something like:  "You've helped him unlock part of himself that he can share with others - and that is so incredible!"  And it is incredible - and to link it to the bounty of God's grace is essential - so that we all understand that our creativity is a gift to be celebrated, nourished and shared.  No prima donnas here - just joyful servants sharing a feast - a feast where everyone has a place at the table.

Now I don't keep at it to get thanks - that would be too self-serving - but let me tell you when a mom or dad takes the time to share something like this... my heart sings and I am fortified in ways beyond words.  The totality of this work - encouraging faith and creativity in pursuit of beauty, compassion and community - is the most important thing I can be doing with my time and talent.  And I am blessed that after 30 years, I can still do it!

Next week, two of our hosts from Istanbul - Eser and Ahmet - will be in town.  And they'll be joining us for worship.  My jazz mates will be there, too as we talk about "peace-making through jazz."  Now here's the thing:  this will be the first time my friends from Turkey have EVER been in Christian worship - and they run a beautiful inn in the town of Iznik (once known as Nicaea of creedal fame) so it is essential that they experience the creative grace of Christian worship in the US after hearing so much about the hate, fundamentalism and fear. And it is sweet that ALL my jazz buddies are willing to join us for this time, too.  In their core they get how important it is to explore faith in the context of creativity and deep community.

To paraphrase the great Canadian social commentator, Neil Young:  we HAVE to keep on jazzin' in the free world.  And in the church.  And in the bars.  And in our homes, too.


3 comments:

Last Week's Anonymous Lurker said...

This. I wish more people understood that creative expression is one of the paths to understanding the sacred. There are people who "get it" but so many who don't...

RJ said...

Thanks for "coming out" as it were.. luv your blog and grateful you have found some hope in mine, too.

Anonymous said...

Hope? Grace. I can't explain what it is but I recognize it when I see it.

thank you again.

(The Lurker)

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...