Thursday, July 4, 2013

Listening to their stories..

I like to meet new people - and I especially like to hear them tell their own stories.  During the first week of this year's vacation, I've had a chance to listen to a variety of people tell stories about some of their deepest passions.  We kicked things off by being a part of a memorial service for my dear friend Hal's father.  Listening to each brother speak about their father was truly holy ground.

The next day we headed for Montreal - one of my favorite places in the world - and were met by our daughter, Jesse, and her dear husband, Michael.  They are expecting their first child in September and listening to how their lives are being changed by the growing baby was a sacred privilege.
The musical insights of various artists at the Jazz Festival, of course, was another whole level of story telling that nourished my soul.  And during that time I opened conversations with a retired African American man from Florida and a Quebecer who both adored jazz.  Again, they were so open and eager to share that my whole day felt blessed.
One day we stumbled upon a demonstration in favor of deposing Morsi in Egypt - and two days later it came to pass.  I also have had some fascinating conversations - in English and French - with those who have cared for our food during this trip.
And today in Ottawa's "Glebe" neighborhood, I chatted up the owner of a tasty little Mexican restaurant called Feleena's.  As we spoke, Zak told me he and his wife will be visiting Massachusetts in the fall.  When I told him we made a special effort to return to his club for a meal this year after having such a great time last year, he bowed in a Namaste prayer and said:  God bless you, man.  I gave him my card so maybe he'll visit our home when they head south.
My life is always enriched when I take the time to listen to the story of another - especially in our travels. Here is a street artist in Ottawa who has just completed his chalk rendition of a Renaissance classic.

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...