Thursday, November 15, 2018

an encounter with joy...

Nearly every month I have the privilege of being present with my friends in the community of L'Arche Ottawa. Throughout the month I hold the core members, assistants, friends and various leaders in my prayers. I often write and reflect on what a spirituality of tenderness - guided greatly by the wisdom of Jean Vanier - means for this moment in my life and culture, too. And then once a month, after driving six hours one way, I have the joy of sharing a few days in community in Ottawa. Sometimes I am blessed to sleep and share meals in one of the L'Arche community homes. Other times those who live in solidarity with L'Arche welcome me into their homes. Always I am blessed by my visits whether it is for a spirituality committee meeting, a retreat, Eucharist, or simply the chance to share an evening meal with those I have come to love.

I don't have any illusions that these monthly visits bear any relationship to the day in/day out rigors of the L'Arche assistants - or core members. Generally, I live a life of solitude. Yes, I make a small commitment of time and resources to travel north each month, but it is a very modest act in comparison to the profound lives of service in the homes of L'Arche. (NOTE: for those unfamiliar with L'Arche nomenclature, assistants are the full-time, live-in support personnel who provide care, compassion and accompaniment to core members; core members are individuals with intellectual disabilities who share their lives, their wisdom and their love with the whole community.) Most homes are 10 people with and without intellectual disabilities practicing living and loving life together. Every month the whole cadre gathers for community night. There are supper exchanges every month, too as well as a variety of shared celebrations, events and encounters with the wider Ottawa community. My small but sacred part in all of this is to periodically bring music, participate fully in the spirituality committee and share Eucharist, reflection or whatever else might be useful whenever I can make the trip north.

There is SO much I would like to write about my recent trip - but I am worn out - mostly from travel but also from my encounters with joy. As an old dude, I am learning that there is a time for me to be engaged and then a time to step back and rejoice in the energy of others. So let me share a collection of photos (taken by others at L'Arche) that hint at the blessings we experience whenever we are able to reconnect. Tonight,as the first serious snow of the season brings us its beauty, I give thanks to God for this community.

  
 

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...