Saturday, October 10, 2020

a thousand beautiful things...

Oh, my Lord, what a morning! Sweet sunlight, cool breezes, burning bushes

ablaze and breakfast on the deck in the autumn stillness. I am trying to practice what I preach - and will share tomorrow morning on the live-streaming gathering - about treasuring gratitude. And then, as if the cosmos thought I needed a gentle but real kick in the pants, I came upon this poem: "Wishing Well" by Gregory Pardlo 
(You can hear Pádraig Ó Tuama read it https://onbeing.
org/poetry/wishing-well/ and it is well worth the effort.)

“Outside the Met a man walks up sun 
tweaking the brim sticker on his Starter cap 
and he says pardon me Old School he 
says you know is this a wishing well? 
Yeah Son I say sideways over my shrug. 
     Throw your bread on the water. 
I tighten my chest wheezy as Rockaway beach 
sand with a pull of faux smoke on my e-cig 
to cozy the truculence I hotbox alone 
and I am at the museum because it is not a bar. 
Because he appears not to have changed 
them in days I eye the heel-chewed hems 
of his pants and think probably he will 
ask me for fifty cents any minute now wait 
for it. A smoke or something. Central Park displays 
the frisking transparency of autumn. Tracing 
paper sky, leaves like eraser crumbs gum 
the pavement. As if deciphering celestial 
script I squint and purse off toward the roof 
line of the museum aloof as he fists two 
pennies from his pockets mumbling and then 
aloud my man he says hey my man I’m going 
to make a wish for you too. 
     I am laughing now so what you want 
me to sign a waiver? He laughs along ain’t 
say all that he says but you do have to 
hold my hand. And close your eyes. 
I make a starless night of my face before 
he asks are you ready. Yeah dawg I’m ready. 
Sure? Sure let’s do this his rough hand 
in mine inflates like a blood pressure cuff and I 
squeeze back as if we are about to step together 
from the sill of all resentment and timeless 
toward the dreamsource of un-needing the two 
of us hurtle sharing the cosmic breast 
of plenitude when I hear the coins blink against
the surface and I cough up daylight like I’ve just 
been dragged ashore. See now 
you’ll never walk alone he jokes and is about 
to hand me back to the day he found me in 
like I was a rubber duck and he says you got to let 
go but I feel bottomless and I know he means 
well though I don’t believe 
     and I feel myself shaking 
my head no when he means let go his hand.”

Annie Lennox and Rumi insist that there are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth with a heart of gratitude. The more I listen - and practice - and honor this truth, the less fear and cynicism I know. And the more I find to be grateful for. Nothing has changed objectively in the body politic, of course, that remains a mess. But now I am living into its fullness rather than just being carried away on the surface of my feelings.

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...