Saturday, January 21, 2012

Today I...

Today...

... I did not want to get out of bed ~ especially given the cold and snow.

... I heard of a treasured one's divorce ~ and wept complicated tears.

... I visited with next week's worship leader ~ and finalized details for a new "community" celebration that will happen while I am away.

... I finished my worship notes for tomorrow's Annual Meeting ~ and wrote letters to a few colleagues in my region about three key challenges facing our local churches.

... I shoveled a little snow, ate an avocado sandwich on rye bread, drank a pot of tea and went shopping for supper ~ even though I would have preferred a nap.

... I cleaned our kitchen (well, almost) ~ and drove Dianne to work.

... I practiced my bass lines for tomorrow's worship songs ~ and then read these words from the wisdom of Eugene Peterson:

God gets down on his knees among us; gets on our level and shares himself with us. He does not reside afar off and send diplomatic messages, he kneels among us. That posture is characteristic of God. The discovery and realization of this is what defines what we know of God as GOOD news ~ God shares himself generously and graciously.

For when the time was right, Jesus set aside the privileges of deity and took on the status of a slave and became human! Having become human, he stayed human. It was an incredibly humbling process. (Philippians 2: 7-8)

The way I see it, practicing the awareness of God's grace in my ordinary life is mostly about showing up, yes? So now that today is coming to a close, I want to give thanks for it all.

 (I used to listen to this album OVER and OVER back in the day ~ and today is STILL sounds damn fine!)

2 comments:

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Remember - All shall be well and all manner of things shall be well and that comes from a cynical Irish woman.
Blessings !!

RJ said...

I believe and trust this deeply...

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...