Thursday, December 27, 2012

A time to be still...

Last night it began to snow with a ferocity we haven't seen for a long time.  It was bold and demanding - it drove dear Jesse and Michael home a day early in pursuit of safety - so when I awoke I expected the town to be closed.  It was...
So today became a time to be still.  The snow muffles all the ordinary sounds of life in the Berkshires.  It keeps people inside (mostly) so the roads are quiet, too.  And it blankets the earth and trees in a beautiful cold padding that also brings out our need for periodic solitude.

Later in the day, we tried our new snow shoes - what GREAT timing, yes? - and hiked a bit out into the woods.  Then we brought goofy Lucie outside for her first deep snow.  What a gas.
I spent most of the day finishing year-end reports for church - the January newsletter and my annual overview of our shared ministries - and held my daughter, Michal, in prayer as they travelled home from San Francisco.  (They made it safely.) Once, while taking a midday distraction on Facebook I found this from one of my dear friends - a buddy from Jr. High whom I love but haven't seen in decades - and it seemed to give this time for stillness both shape and form.
My hope is that this simple truth guides my ministry - and life - this year.  Now it is time for tea and some quiet Christmas rest.


1 comment:

Peter said...

Amen, may it be so.

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...