Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Going to the end of the line...

Today I had the privilege to be part of a third year seminarian's conversation about "call" with his adviser: what a joyous 60+ minutes.  I was so deeply impressed with the adviser's sensitive knowledge of her charge, and, I was blessed to see how this young man has grown in wisdom and humility. What a treasure and true honor.
I also got to spend more than five hours in the car with my sweetheart taking in the gorgeous autumn trees as well as conversation filled with tons of laughter. We haven't been on a road trip in a while so this was refreshing in every way possible.  We wrapped up the day at band practice working on our first pass at tunes for Thanksgiving Eve's "Lending a Hand" concert.

All day long I kept thinking:  I am at a GREAT moment in my journey of life. In days I will become a grandfather, I share life with my favorite person in creation, I make music with some of the most talented and faithful souls I have ever known, I serve a creative and compassionate congregation AND I live in a town surrounded by beauty.  I have a crazy, sweet puppy, I am learning the upright bass, I am just about to take possession of the finest guitar I have ever played, I will celebrate St. Francis Day on Sunday with a blessing of our pets and I am going to become a grandpa (did I mention that?)

Some days open my eyes to the blessings upon blessings that are real for me - and for that I am so grateful. 

2 comments:

Peter said...

The cliche is true: gratitude is a very good approach to life.

RJ said...

I understand that old St. Augustine said that the sin that cannot be forgiven is ingratitude. Thank, my man.

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...