Saturday, October 19, 2013

Tonight... I really believe it...

Today was one of those days when I celebrate and return thanks to God
for the gift of the church.  It began with church leaders from small towns throughout New England who are coming together to work for compassion and justice.  They are dedicated, wise and humble servants and it was a privilege to spend time with them in Worcester this morning. Then, we picked up the children of a church family, and headed out to another church family's farm where we walked and talked and played with our dogs and then feasted.  It was tender and renewing and very, very real. 

Not every day in the local church is this sacred.  Last week, Di and I began a conversation that will become a post on this blog entitled:  STUPID SHIT PEOPLE SAY AND DO AT CHURCH!  I've been thinking about what would top the list in each of the four congregations I've served over the past 30+ years. And believe me, there have been some incredible pronouncements that I want to share and unpack for you (but that will be for another day.) Today, was pure unearned grace... and I must confess my soul needed it.

We are blessed to be here.  We are regularly helped and encouraged by those who love us and love the Lord in this small, odd Christ-shaped community. Most days I know this - sometimes I don't - but I know that today was a true blessing.  Tomorrow, one of our committed souls will share her visual testimony of why this congregation matters - and I actually can't wait to see what she comes up with because she is a person of faith who is also a tender artist.  Our band will do a jazz/gospel mediation on "Precious Lord" and a jazz take on "God Be in My Head."  And I will try to share something about how God's love is SO enormous that even our pain and sin can be transformed into a way back home into grace... and tonight I really believe it. 




No comments:

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...