Sunday, March 15, 2020


So this turned out ok - my first experiment in doing "live streaming" from home - and who knows? Maybe I'll do more. For sure I will be leading on-line worship next week for First Congregational Church, Williamstown, MA from Facebook @ 10 am (EDT.) Three thoughts that popped up afterwards:

+ First, it was fun: I enjoy thinking theologically for 21st century people in a quiet and gentle way. In a large Sanctuary setting, where there is a need to be a BIG personality to go along with the physical space, I discovered I became worn out. Not so, however, in intimate and/or small settings.

+ Second, it was great to have my "preaching desk" spread all out before me but not cluttering the experience of those taking it all in at home. I had prayer books and papers, CDs and pages of poetry in piles and stacks all around me, but the visuals from my study in the Berkshires was clean and lovely. And having all those resources close by helped me be spontaneous in a non-anxious way. There really is something to the beauty of these digital connections.

+ And third, it was encouraging to see real time words of encouragement scroll up and across the screen. I don't know about others, but sometimes in some public worship settings I have found the looks on the faces of the gathered faithful can be a challenge to discern. "Frozen chosen?" Distracted? Upset tummies? Not so this morning - and there was some pretty immediate feed back, too. I heard from people all over the country: some dear former colleagues and church members, some friends from high school and some of the local church people spending the sabbath inside. It was even suggested that maybe I start a weekly podcast?!? I won't let too much of this go to my head, but some wheels are turning...

Next week, within the confines of silence and self-isolation (something Di and I live into most of the time anyway), I will be working on thoughts for the Fourth Sunday in Lent using Psalm 23 and excerpts from the ninth chapter of St. John's gospel.


No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...